Go Back   Spring Trails Online > Local Discussion > Homeowners Tips & Tricks

Old 08-01-2014, 08:08 PM   #1
legal22

Default Air Conditioner Repair

Well, sad to say my a/c went out last week when temps were in the high 90s and the 100s were looming in the next couple of days!

I called Jeff from Texas New Air, 281-449-8800 or 832-435-7986. I called him and explained that the outdoor unit was completely dead. He came over in 15 minutes because he was in the area and was on his way to another call!!

He diagnosed the problem and gave me the bad news in less than 10 minutes! My condenser was blown and would have to be replaced. He checked the coil and said that was o.k. but that in another year or so that would have to be replaced as well.

He went on to say, like many here have said, that the condenser unit was too small for the size of my house! It was 3 1/2 ton and should have been 4. He said the a/c that the builder put on the house was a lower quality and I'm lucky I got 10 years out of it because those type usually go out in 7 - 8 years!!!

He gave me my options, said I could go with another 3 1/2 ton and it would be cheaper, but if I went with the 4 ton it would be a little more expensive, but a lot more energy efficient and would cut my electric bill almost in half.

We scheduled the replacement for the next day and he showed up on time and completed the work timely.

His worker commented on my thermostat because it's as old as the house, 10 years and he said how old it was and how he hadn't seen one like that in a long time. I asked Jeff if I needed to have my thermostat replaced and he said no. He said when I can no longer see the display to call him and he'll replace it. He said there's no reason to replace it now. I like the fact that he didn't try and upsell me at any point and I didn't feel pressured to purchase the bigger condenser with a higher SEER rating. I also didn't feel pressured when he recommended that I replace the coil now instead of next year so I wouldn't have to have a repair this year and then probably again next year.

At the end of the installation, he brought me the documents for the condenser and coil. He sat down with me at my laptop and helped me register the unit for the warranty! Very helpful!

The new outdoor unit is a lot bigger than the old one and a lot more quiet! I'm looking forward to the lower electric bills and I love my cool house!!

He was friendly, professional and I think, fairly priced. I highly recommend him!!
legal22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 04:03 PM   #2
Maverick

Many of us are in this same realm right now....gettin ten years out of a 8 year, builder grade system.

What system did they put in? How much was the fair price?
Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:11 PM   #3
legal22

They put in a Goodman, he said he prefers it to the others. He does not like the Carrier that was there and also does not like Amana. Says they're overpriced and expensive.

I think you should give him a call and let him inspect your unit for you to get an estimate. Like I said, he gave me various options on size and SEER and I chose what I chose. There were cheaper options.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:39 PM   #4
maikafer05

Default AC Repair

@Legal, I have a Goodman in my house and was told by the AC guy that it was a cheap and no-good unit. That goes to show you how different all the repair servicers opinions can be. Mine is going out too, by the way, and I was quoted 5000-6000 for a new one. My house is only 1653 sq feet. I guess when they build your house only the "cheapest" ingredients go into it. Mine is a Perry and I would NEVER buy another Perry home again.

Last edited by maikafer05; 08-08-2014 at 03:41 PM.
maikafer05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:04 AM   #5
Txhalofan

Thanks for the reference for Jeff. I also used him, he definitely gave me a good deal when my AC stopped working and came out fast.
Txhalofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:22 AM   #6
legal22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhalofan View Post
Thanks for the reference for Jeff. I also used him, he definitely gave me a good deal when my AC stopped working and came out fast.
Good to know! I always like to recommend someone when they do good work! Thanks!!