Go Back   Spring Trails Online > Local Discussion > Local Area Restuarants / Take Out Numbers

Old 10-24-2013, 08:09 AM   #21
Farm Fresh

Q18. Can I order Beef? Can I specify particular cuts?

Grass-fed beef is available to order in bulk packages (Whole Calf, Side Calf, ¼ Calf, 1/10 Calf). Also available individually is Ground Beef (85/15), Beef Trim, & Beef Marrow Bones.

Yonder Way Farm does not sell specific cuts of beef that are not part of a bulk package, because they are trying to encourage everyone involved in truly supporting local agriculture. So who benefits from this?

The CONSUMER, because all cuts are sold at the same price,

The FARMER, because all cuts being sold are accounted for, and

The ANIMAL, because we are consuming everything from nose to tail.
Farm Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:55 AM   #22
Farm Fresh

Q19. Does grass-fed beef cook the same way as beef purchased at the
supermarket?

Grass-fed beef does cook differently than commercial beef. Yonder Way Farm provides excellent cooking instructions on their home page.

The fat in Grass-Fed beef has a much different consistency than the fat in commercial, grain fed beef. It is much less watery. The key is “low and slow”, to prevent dry and tough beef.

It is worth the effort, Grass-fed beef is lower in calories, contains more healthy omega-3 fats, more vitamins A and E, higher levels of antioxidants, and up to seven times the beta-carotene. Plus you are safe in the knowledge that Grass-fed beef is free of growth hormones and antibiotics.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:51 AM   #23
Farm Fresh

Thank you Springtrailsonline for your encouraging support. Many of you have asked for the remainder of the questions & answers. I don't want to disappoint anybody, so here they are.

Q20. I have a source for Organic Chicken @ $1.49 lb. Can the farm compete
with that?

Here’s the problem, many organic chickens are raised identical to factory farmed chickens in giant sheds, never seeing the outdoors. They are fed an “organic” mixture of corn, soy, & grain. Their food is organic, but they are supposed to eat forage (primarily seeds and insects, with the occasional small rodent or reptile if they can get them). So this organic chicken is fed a diet that they are not designed to eat living in a highly stressful environment. Some chickens do not survive this treatment.

Pastured (Free-Range) Poultry produces a healthier and tastier product than what is sold as Organic Chicken in supermarkets today, but it does cost substantially more.

Q21. I buy organic eggs from the supermarket? How do farm eggs compare?

Many organic eggs found in the supermarket come from chickens that are raised identical to factory farmed chickens. The difference is the feed. Organic grains are not the ideal diet for a chicken when they are supposed to eat forage.

Pastured farm eggs will have bright orange yolks and will have a distinctive taste. They are healthier for you as well having:
• less Cholesterol
• less Saturated fat
• More Vitamin A
• More Omega-3 Fatty acids
• More Vitamin E
• More Beta Carotene
• More Vitamin D
Q22. Is the milk raw?

The milk that Yonder Way Farm delivers comes from Stryk Jersey Farm. It is fresh from pasture-raised, grass-fed Jersey cows without any homogenization (process by which fat particles remain in suspension) or pasteurization (heating milk at a high temperature). Stryk Dairy is one of the handful of dairies in the state of Texas that has obtained and maintained since 1950 a “Grade A Raw for Retail Milk Permit” issued by the Texas Department of State Health Services. This is raw milk complete with all the tremendous health benefits and true flavor.

Check out their website at: texascheese.com

Q23. My budget is very tight. What do you suggest I order to maximize the health benefits of Yonder Way Farm Products?

Beef trim and beef marrow bones can be used to make broth and then transformed into nourishing soups or stews. The health benefits of eating a more expensive steak are equal to a rich enzyme broth.

Get full use out of each chicken you purchase. Enjoy the chicken, then make broth (Easy to do with a crockpot) with the bones and transform into soups or stews.

If you can eat eggs, high quality eggs pack a huge nutritional punch compared to other sources of protein that cost a lot more.

Consider splitting a produce box with a neighbor. Each box is large enough to divide in half for smaller households (2 – 3 members). This will cut the price in half and avoid spoilage.
Q24. Why are the prices 3 – 4 times the cost of store bought?

Grass farming without the use of antibiotics, growth hormones, synthetics or chemicals will cost significantly more. In every way, you cannot compare Yonder Way Farm products to store bought (Taste, Appearance, Quality, Healthfulness).

Did you know…
1. A feedlot cow can grow to slaughter weight up to a year faster than a cow fed forage, grass, and hay. That’s a savings of an annual supply of feed.
2. Due to government subsidy initiated and continued since 1940, commercial milk is ½ the price that if should be to produce.
3. Genetically Modified Corn & Soy is subsidized by the government. These products (added to commercial animal feed) reduce the cost of commercial beef and chicken substantially.
4. People in other countries in the world spend a much higher percentage of their budgets, per capita, on food than the less than 7% we spend in the United States.
Q25. Does the meat have added nitrates?
Yonder Way Farm food does not have:
• Antibiotics
• Growth Hormones
• Synthetics
• Chemicals (including nitrates)
• Grain Products (including gluten)
NOTE: The pan sausage & fresh pork bratwursts have natural cane sugar added.

Q26. Can I choose the contents of my produce box?

Unfortunately, you cannot select the contents of the produce box.

There will be 9 to10 items of seasonal vegetables in every box.

Q27. Is the vegetable box big enough to split with a neighbor?

This is an excellent idea for smaller households (2 -3 members). This also encourages less waste because if your family doesn’t enjoy a certain produce item, there’s a good chance that your neighbor will love it.

Q28. Are the contents of the produce box organic?

The produce comes from a local farm, FINCA PURA VIDA.

Finca Pura Vida is an ecological farm with the mission of balancing the eco system by making the insects and soil a priority. They are not "Organic" but Beyond Organic. "Organic" standards are low compared to what they do.

Finca Pura Vida feeds the soil weekly with earth worm castings, Ladybug fertilizer, magnesium sulfate, potassium sulfate, Rabbit Hill Minerals, Sea Minerals, fish emulation and black strap molasses always making sure they give back more than they take. They only use Hydrogen peroxide to combat mildew problems. They never use products that kill beneficial insects. They grow many products to feed the insects and leave these for the insects.

Produce from Finca Pura Vida are higher in nutrition than any other organic products found in the grocery store.

Check out their website at: fincapuravida.org

Q29. How long will the vegetable box last?

That depends on how well you care for it. Please consider that no preservatives have been applied to extend the produces freshness. That means that as you go through your box, you will notice some produce should be eaten or cooked immediately. I extend my produces life by using “reusable produce bags”. These are available for purchase on-line (i.e.: Amazon.com). My produce box lasts me on average 2 weeks.

Q30. Can I trade produce with other Spring Trails participants?

I encourage you to get to know other Spring Trails families that are participating in the Yonder Way Farm Drop. Trading produce is half the fun! It also reduces spoilage on varieties that your family may not enjoy.

Q31. I’m interested, but I can’t make the 3:30 p.m. pick up time. Are there any options for me?
1.) You can drop a personal cooler off at the Spring Trails Visitor center.
Label it with your last name (Masking Tape & Sharpie), prepay for your order using paypal, and plan your order accordingly, so that you have enough frozen product to chill your refrigerated product (We will not have ice available). You may pick up your
order that day until 7:00 p.m. at the Community/Visitor Center.
**NOTE: You may drop off your coolers the day of the drop before work, or you may choose a time when the Visitor Center is open .
2.) Do you have a neighbor willing to help you out?
Ask a nearby participating neighbor if they can pick up your order for you.
Q32. What happens if I forget to pick up my order and I already paid for it?

Please understand that your neighbor is doing you a favor by staying at the visitor center until 7:00 p.m. on the scheduled drop day. If you miss that deadline, your food cannot be stored overnight. Your Spring Trails HOA is not responsible for it.

Orders that are not picked up will be donated to the Montgomery County Food Bank.

Q33. What is your role in this project?

My name is Sheri DiStefano and I am personally leading the Yonder Way Farm project for Spring Trails. My responsibilities include issuing “Spring Trails Authorization Codes” after verifying your address and I will be present at the food drops from 3:30 p.m. until the last order is picked up (or 7:00 p.m.).

Please contact me directly at: sheri.distefano@gmail.com should you have any concerns or ideas.

Q34. How long have you been ordering from the Farm?

I discovered Yonder Way Farm this past summer (August 2013), and my family has been enjoying it ever since.

Q35. Do you get paid to promote Yonder Way Farm?

I do not get paid, nor do I receive discounts on farm products. I pay the same amount that you pay for the same products.

Q36. Do you have health issues? Is that the reason that you got involved with this?

I have a few autoimmune issues that flared up last summer. Along the journey of trying to get that under control, I’ve learned that “Food Matters” and can make a remarkable difference in our lives. I got involved with this project to ensure high quality food for me and my family.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:23 AM   #24
CityX

When is the next drop date??
CityX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:20 AM   #25
Farm Fresh

The NEXT Spring Trails Drop Date is: Thursday, January 9, 2014 @ 3: 30 p.m. (Heron Park – Pool / Visitor Center).

Yonder Way Farm Orders are due by Tuesday, January 7, 2014 (@ midnight), and should be placed on their website:
www.yonderwayfarm.com or phone: 979-530-4444